Monday, November 12, 2007

and so it starts

I just checked out the book "moby dick". I REALLY like the first paragraph or so and will type it out at the end of this post. I like to read but I think that herman melville (1819-1891) the guy that wrote it is just a little to old? I don't know but other than the first paragraph I can't get into it, I think I would like it but o'well

all this has led to what my profile states is my "voyage" I am really intrigued by "alex supertramp" the kid the book "into the wild" is about. I am sick of what my life has been up to this point, and I am trying to change that. I am not holding back as much as I used to when it comes to the lame things of life. I hope though I can control this cause the last thing I want is to go off the deep end.

I guess this calls for a little history. I grew up LDS and I am gay.

Well I guess thats all the history needed... ok more seriously I join the ranks of the gay lds blogging community though I don't like to follow the norms... I however don't want to get off on the wrong foot. I am glade I was brought up with the standards I have but now I need to move on.

so this is it. I will try not to hold grudges but they will probably shine through since I am at heart very pessimistic not having anything to do with my childhood... (see that is an example...)

"Call me Ishemael. Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen, (*violent feelings and displays of irritation or anger...) and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos (* "the blues") get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking peoples's hats off - then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship. There is nothing surprising in this. If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me. "

- The first paragraph of Moby Dick by Herman Melville with subscripts by Hershel Parker and Harrison Hayford "A norton critical edition, second edition" 2001 (so I never paid attention to citing your references in school but I think I gave enough credit to the right people?)

2 comments:

Scot said...

"and so it starts"

Welcome and good luck ;-)

J G-W said...

I'll second that.

Wait till you get to the part where he talks about the whiteness of the whale.

You'll wish you had a sword like Cato to throw yourself upon.