Wednesday, April 8, 2009

follow up, coming out again?

this is going to be quick I'm in a rush but I think I need to let everyone know the results...
Alan convinced me that this was important enough that I needed to really TALK to my brother about this, after I talked to Alan I realized how right he was. I think I have been used to coming out to "safe" people that I knew would take it well so going out on a limb and coming out to someone that had no experience with it and then having it go well made me think that all was well. SO basically my thought process was this is WHY I came out to him to educate him and dispel stereotypes. SO I emailed him saying we needed to go to lunch. I figured I'd give him time and do it at the end of the week, it turns out I forgot he was going out of town so we actually did it yesterday!?!?! I kinda freaked out and was worried cause I also needed time to plan but I knew what I wanted to say so I outlined it and though it didn't go how I planned I did say everything I wanted to. Basically his concerns we valid just because he didn't know any better, I told him that is part of the problem because most "gays" are normal. We did have a discussion going but he still didn't say too much though I know he knows my intentions. I also told him that I was offended by what he said. I guess this whole situation was good because I think I am going to use the same basic outline to come out to his wife (who I am scared of how she will take it...) so I also have a bit of reality and will be ready for the extreme???
basically things worked out... and I feel even better knowing that we understand each other. now to pass my classes this semester... ugh...
oh and thanks for every bodies concern and encouragement

2 comments:

Austin said...

a) super proud of you for being legit with your brother and telling him how you really feel. b) why does it seem that us Mormon gays have to come out two or three times to our families. Yes we are gay, and yes that does me that we like guys. I didn't think that concept could be so hard or so misconstrued. c) I understand your fear of telling your sister-in-law, but she's a girl so she will probably grasp the concept a bit better.
Again so proud of you. Keep us up to date!

Dr. Andrew J. Swallow PhD. said...

kudos to you, its good that you are being open and honest and straight forward. Be yourself. I am pround and happy for you